Sunday, March 1, 2015

"Down" time

March 1, 2015

The winter blast here in Texas made for an interesting week this past week. Roads were icy and schools were closed or dismissing early. It was so cold and icy at our church that services today were even canceled!

When one is iced in and most everything around you is closed or impossible to get to, you truly have "down" time. "Down" time is something I generally don't have.  I keep a fast paced, hectic schedule between work, church, errands and my musical pursuits. I bet most everyone else I know has a similar schedule. "Down" time is rare; however, it is also a blessing. It has been great to be able to read a book, organize and clean out drawers, do laundry, cook meals and share them with my family - all at a leisurely pace. Nothing has been panicky. I love that. I also love that my 25 year old son came to stay with us this weekend and he enjoyed our iced in "down" time with us. Being with my little family is a joy.

These past few days it has also been a blessing to have time to pray. Instead of a nightly ritual, or those popcorn prayers that go through my head constantly throughout the day, I have really had time to pause and to listen for God's voice. I have had time to lay my requests and questions and ponderings at His feet and to put my life once again in His hands and in His control.

Some of the thoughts I believe God has impressed on my heart these past few days are that we should find our strength in the joy we find in our faith. "The joy of the Lord is our strength." We should never let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved. Friends let us down, beloved children grow up and move away, your nest is empty, loved ones pass on. In fact, just yesterday a former student of mine passed away. A friend's father is facing his final days. This is very sad. This is not unusual. This is life.

Lately I've been looking back with regret and looking forward with fear. This down time has reminded me of a quote from Harold Hill of the MUSIC MAN. He says, "You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you've collected a lot of empty yesterdays." I realized that being sad about the past and fearful of the future is a completely unhealthy way to live. It also hurts no one but me. If I keep doing this I'm going to be one of those folks with a lot of empty yesterdays.

Do you ever feel this way?

If so, you might join me as I make a commitment to myself and a re-commitment to God to embrace each day, believing that the day is truly a gift from Him. Whatever circumstances I'm facing have meaning and purpose because He is in control. As a Christian, I am a unique expression of Christ.  If you are a Christian, you are too. This makes what we do and say important, even if we feel unimportant. What we do matters, because God says that it does.

Dear God....thank you for the "down" time, for clearing my head, for giving me time to talk long and hard with you and especially for the silence to listen to your voice.

I hope you enjoyed your down time if you are among the many who have experienced these snowed in, iced in, "stay at home" days. I don't have the answers to all of life's questions, of that I am quite certain. But, in the quiet and stillness of my "down time", I have become a little closer to the One who does.

Soli Deo Gloria

PAM BURCHILL

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back in the Blogging Saddle Again

Birthdays, Aging and the Blessing of Music Happy Birthday to me! I’m in a new decade now and I remember being a teenager thinking tha...